Alimony Order - How Can I Modify it? Somervillelawoffice

Can I Modify My Alimony Order?

Alimony order

Modify My Alimony Order – Prior to The Massachusetts Alimony Reform Act of 2011, a durational limit was not placed on alimony. This means that there could be a lifetime alimony obligation even if the parties were only married for 3 years. Not only does the new act limit the duration alimony is paid, but it includes a provision that allows prior judgments to be modified according to the new amount and durational limits. If the marriage was less than 5 years, then as of March 1, 2013, the payor was allowed to file for a modification of his/her alimony obligation

In order to qualify to modify alimony order as of March 1, 2013, the following conditions must apply:

1) The parties must have been married for less than five years;
2) The durational limit is greater than that allowed under the new law; and
3) If there was an agreement, the alimony must have merged and not survived;

Additionally, if the payor is of retirement age or will reach retirement age on or before March 1, 2015, then the payor may file Alimony modification after March 1, 2013. Further, the modification may also include other grounds such as cohabitation of the recipient spouse.

For more information on the Massachusetts Alimony Reform Act of 2011 or your alimony rights, click here to contact an attorney…

  Click to Call